Friday, February 18, 2011

Alchemyst...what do you think??


I've read the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to this book. I picked this up after someone recommended it to me highly; I wish I could say I had the same enthusiasm for it he did. First, it is marketed as "Young Adult" fiction, but could easily pass for "Juvenile." I don't think it goes beyond Middle School reading level, in my opinion.
The characters (besides Nicholas Flamel) DO come across one dimensional and a bit "cheesy", as I've read in other reviews. It would probably be a lot more interesting story if the author included a certain TYPE of mythology rather than EVERY kind of mythology he can think of. Vampires, Gods, Werewolves, Mystics, Sorcery...are ALL mentioned which make the reading experience a tad overwhelming. However, if you're really into that sort of thing and enjoyed Percy Jackson immensely and were willing to overlook this defect--I think you'd enjoy this book.
The plot moves along swiftly and the premise is a good one--evil v.s. good is always a substantial and entertaining theme. I can see kids loving this book or hating it--dependeing on whether they connect with the two main characters (twins), and can stand the confusion of all the history, magic, and mythology rolled into one.

No comments: