Thursday, October 14, 2010

Handling the Undead? Easy in this book.....


*This Review Contains Spoilers

I must say, as an avid reader of zombie-type fiction, I was anticipating this book with every breath. And although I stayed up ALL night (ok, most of it), to finish this book, I have a few complaints:
1. Its end suggested its not really over. Are we going to be dealing with ANOTHER trilogy here?
2. The Zombies just aren't very scary and can talk (!!) which every Romero fan knows, is a big no-no.
3. The undead, while showing bits and pieces of ferocity, aren't really that terrifying...nor do they seem to like to eat people. And, let's face it. That's really the best part of any zombie plan.
4. I had a hart time identifying with any of the main characters whom I found to be extremely one-dimensional and "typecast."
5. The whole butterfly/cocoon connection is a bit beyond me. A great scientific example would be "28 days later", but the whole insect thing just didn't seem plausible in the least.
6. Lastly, the best scene in the book, (the drowned man coming back to life) had very little gore and was "taken care of" using "positive thoughts and singing."
Okay, maybe it's just me. But this was a bit too fluffy for me to take seriously. Perhaps the author's intention was to add some humanity to the whole zombie genre, I don't know. But what I do know is that when I pick up a book with the term "Undead" on the cover....I expect some great brain-eating action

No comments: