Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sweet Sixteen and behind the Wheel?


Women make up for more than half the drivers on the road, but most of us don't know the difference between a radio and a lug-nut. That's why ZEST books is giving away copies of their new book Driver's Seat: A Girl's Guide to Her First Car. To be eligible, all you have to do is send the publisher an email (http://www.zestbooks.net/) describing your funniest or most embarrassing driving moment as a teen (and let's face it--there are lots of them)! Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on March 22nd, 2010. Winners will be notified by email within 5 days.


The Driver's Seat encourages young women encourages women to get comfortable with their four-wheeled friends and gives advice on how to change a tire, how to handle insurance, how choose a mechanic, and much, much more! I wish I'd had this book around when I was your age--I would have made less mistakes for sure. There are also funny statistics of things women do behind the wheel..so the book is entertaining as well as informative.


Side note: I have a great embarrassing story. Right after I turned 16, my parents told me that if I ever saw an animal or object in the road to STAY ON THE ROAD. What they meant was they didn't want me swerving off the road and into a ditch or a tree as that could be tremendously damaging--so basically they were asking me to SLOW DOWN. Well....a couple months later I was on the way to a friends' house and saw a couple of deer in the road. All I could think about was my parents warning me to STAY ON THE ROAD so I sped up to about 60 and plowed right into the deer--totalling my parents' car in the process. When the tow driver brought me home and my parents asked what happened I said, "I did exactly what you told me to do. I sped up and hit the deer because you told me if I ever saw anything in the road to stay on it." Needless to say, they weren't very happy.

No comments: