Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cairo's Crazy Cab Culture!


When was the last time you actually learned something in a taxi--but weren't starring on TLC's Cash Cab at the time?
In Egypt, a new initiative aims to improve the reading rates among the country's growing middle class. Approximately 200 cabs in Cairo have joined the "Taxi of Knowledge" campaign, which was launched by Alef Bookstores, Al-Masry Al-Youm reported. Alef lends taxi drivers five books at a time to place in their cars for free perusal. They can be exchanged for other titles at any time.

More than 10,000 books have been donated to the project. Taxi driver Mohamed Saber said, "So far it's been a fantastic idea. It has allowed me to engage in discussions with my passengers that aren't necessarily personal but carry meaning. At night I am also able to read the books myself and share them with my family."

No comments: